Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Got some actual progress to show you for the uni project game (which is called Orb by the way)

I'm definately no animator, and though I would have liked to spend much more time on these I don't think they're too shabby. They'll be about half the size in the actual game so hopefully all the raging mistakes will be shrunk down to an unseeable size!

Also a couple of screenshots from in-game. Personally not very happy with the scenery work, it all looks rather flat. Unfortunately there's no time to create full, majestic, depthful masterpieces with the bajillion other levels I've got to do. Not that I'm complaining, managed to learn a few things by stumbling my way ungainly through this project.

Monday, 24 January 2011

More life drawing! Went back to oil pastels for the last session, so I could thankfully relax a bit whilst suffering from sleep deprivation (oh university how I suffer for you). Would have liked to try something different but I completely forgot to acquire new supplies. I got to model next to our uh.. model though so I suppose that could count towards my 'trying new/different stuff' quota?

Hopefully next post I'll lobb some bits and bobs up from the uni project, once I figure out how to turn my attempts at spriting into non-blurry .gifs. It's very different creating actual assetts for a game rather than just dreaming up vague concepts. Bit of given I suppose, but now that I'm there I've realised there's a lot I didn't think to consider or wouldn't be an issue but actually is etc etc argh my mind?!
Deadline in one week, crunchtime here I come. D:

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

More naked figures for your viewing pleasure! And also a Frodey. Charcoals cause me pain but I'll get there in the end I'm sure.

Saturday, 15 January 2011

Back to life drawing and the grindstone in general this week. Fell into a complete lull over the Christmas break so feeling pretty rusty. Going to try and experiment with different materials over the next few weeks, just to keep me on my toes and out my comfort zone.

Had to almost start over with the art for the current uni project. Did a fair amount of work but after a talk with my tutor the style and colours were all over the place and not very well brought together. Although there isn't much time 'til the end of this project I've set more constraints for the design/theme and hopefully I'll come out with something more coherent.

In amongst all this I'm working in a group of four (Matthew Jackson and Megan Goodwin our delightful coders, and Jamie Lewis and myself on the art and assets) to create a game for Android phones, with some help from a lecturer and android games developer. Hopefully I'll something concrete to show you chaps soon, just moving on to final designs after lots of discussion and storyboarding. We're hoping for a release around february time presuming we can get it done around all our respective projects and essays.